I've been experimenting with different ways to substitute for vanilla extract here in Korea given its scarcity. After receiving bits of advice here and there and googling my fingers raw, here's what I've come up with:
1) Pure Canadian Maple Syrup - can be substituted for vanilla extract 1:1. Good method for breads.
2) Powdered Vanilla Flavoring - 700 won for a sizable bag. Works really well and also works well for randomly throwing into other beverages/foods like coffee, smoothies, pancake batter, etc.
3) Overpriced Vanilla-Flavored Sugar from the Lotte Department Store
4) Buy actual vanilla extract at the Bakingschool.co.kr - 6,800 won
5) Make your own using vanilla beans (can be purchased online - 1,600 won per bean) and vodka. Use this recipe from simplyrecipes.com. It'll take two months.